• B
book girl clarinet boy football girl gardening boy pool boy
Home Page

Stalbridge Church of England Primary School



Special Educational Needs and Disabilities  (SEND)


Our Local Offer

Believe ~ Discover ~ Aspire


We have high aspirations for all children identified as having SEND in our school. We strive to ensure that all children achieve their best, that they become confident individuals living fulfilling lives, and make a successful transition into adulthood, whether into employment, further or higher education or training.

Below you will find links to our SEND Policy and SEND Information Report. These two documents form our Local Offer for Dorset stating how we can support children with SEN and disabilities at our school.

What is SEND?

SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Some children have learning needs or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. It means that they may need extra help or different support than others to make the progress that they are capable of. Some children will have a need for extra support at some point in Primary school. Other children will need extra or different support throughout their time in school. What is important is that your child receives the right support so that they can make progress. All teachers give their pupils the correct tasks and learning 'at their level'. This is called 'differentiation.' However, some children will require some support on top of good quality teaching. This will be SEN support which can mean small group work or individual work tailored to your child's needs.


What to do if you are concerned about your child's progress.

Our SEND coordinator is Miss Amanda Solman with Miss Elena Andrews assisting.

Our SEND governor is Mrs Peake.

All children are closely monitored to make sure that they progress well at our school. If your child progresses at a slower rate, we will arrange for extra support and of course, meet with you to discuss this. If however, you do have concerns, the best place to start is your child's class teacher. They know your child well and can listen to your concerns. They will then share your concerns with the Special Educational Needs coordinator and make provisions / changes for your child. Throughout this time, we will meet with you regularly and suggest ways to move forward. If you would like to meet with the SEND coordinator, we will arrange a meeting to suit you and discuss your concerns. If, at any point, you would prefer to talk to the SEND governor, you can do so by making an appointment with the school office.



The SEN code of practice has been updated. Please click the link for the new Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

SEND reforms

Still image for this video
Here is a useful summary of the changes to SEN nationally and what it means for us all.
Here is a useful summary of the new regulations for parents. It contains some frequently asked questions.

Supporting the Emotional, Mental and Social Development of Pupils with SEN

An ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) is specially trained to support childrens' emotional, mental and social development. Children may be identified as required further support by a teacher, teaching assitant or by a parent.
If you have any concerns about your child, please make an appointment to see the class teacher.

Apps to support your child at home.



The following apps have been recommended by SENSS who are the Special Educational Needs Support Service who work with us in school.
My Spellings - structured way of learning spellings ALL AGES
Spellosaur and Spellosaur400 - AGES 5-12
Everyday Jigsaw - used to support speech and language needs - ALL AGES
Phraseology - grammar etc.
Cambugs1 - assessing sounds - PRIMARY and COMPLEX NEEDS
Cambugs2 - digraphs (ai, ee, oa...) and trigraphs (igh, ear, air...)
Dexteria Junior - support delayed vision and fine motor skills
Dexteria - fine motor skills, pen grip, letter and number formation - ALL AGES
Letter Reflex - helps children to distinguish between left and right - ALL AGES
ShowMe - interactive recordable mini whiteboard - ALL AGES
Bluster - rhyming words - ALL AGES
Grid Player - communication tool - ALL AGES
Letter School - letter writing - ALL AGES
Talking Tom - encourages children to communicate - YOUNGER CHILDREN and COMPLEX COMMUNICATION NEEDS
maths dots - dot to dot and number bonds - ALL AGES
Neon Draw - sensory and letter formation - ALL AGES
Twinkl - phonics and letter formation - ALL AGES
PaintSparkle - colour and fun ways to practise letter formation - ALL AGES


The following apps are designed to support children on the Autistic Spectrum (ASD)
GoodNotes / Paper 53 - comic strip conversations to support social situations - ALL AGES
Breathe2Relax - calming music to regulate breathing - ALL AGES
Choiceworks - schedules and timetables - ALL AGES
Feelings - based on the Feelings Book (Rubin and Laurent, 2000) - help to support emotions and feelings - ALL AGES
Halftone - support self esteem - ALL AGES


The following apps can help with recording.
Voicedream - text to speech
Ireadwrite - predictive text and text to speech
DragonDictation - speech - to text
Merriam Webster - talking dictionary
WritePad for ipad


Please let us know if you've found any useful apps - we would love to keep adding them to our list!